TAKE BACK OUR CITY:
‘Welcome’ the 2010 Olympic Torch with Free Games, Free Food and Free Speech!
* Friday, February 12, 2010, 3pm
* Vancouver Art Gallery (Georgia Street, between Howe and Hornby)
Join us in a public festival at the Vancouver Art Gallery at 3pm followed
by a march to protest the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics at BC
Place Stadium. As the Winter Games begin, we will show the world the
negative impacts of the Olympic industry and celebrate our communities
with our own games and entertainment.
* The 2010 Welcoming Committee supports the participation of parents and
caregivers. Childcare arrangements and registration at:
While City and Olympic officials try to turn our city into a sanitized
corporate image, we experience:
* Increasing homelessness, poverty, illegal evictions and rent increases,
* Union-busting and public services cutbacks with a $6 billion Olympic
* Threats to civil liberties and crackdowns on visible poverty,
* At least 15,000 police, soldiers, spies and security forces and public
* Corporate sponsors engaged in arms manufacturing, human rights abuses,
and the environmentally destructive Alberta Tar Sands,
* Exploitation of unceded Indigenous land and resources,
* Major environmental damage to build the ‘Green Games,’ and more ...
Public space has been turned over to the Games but the community has
fought back and preserved our rights to protest. Now is your chance to
Stand Up, Be Counted and Take Back Our City!
Organized by the 2010 Welcoming Committee: community groups, service
providers, activists and educators united by a social justice critique of